Background Information About Me

Hello, I am Lanny Berlingieri and have been born and raised in Northeast Ohio in the Akron area. I attended The University of Akron for undergrad, earning my Bachelor's of Science in Accounting (Fall 2006-Fall 2009). 2010 was then approaching quickly and I had to decide on what I was planning to do in the middle of my last semester. I have a full-time offer with Crowe Horwath starting September 2011, which gave me around 21 months in b/w graduating and starting. I therefore took the GMAT and began taking graduate courses this semester (January 2010) towards an MBA in Finance.

Thursday, March 4, 2010

End of Week Number 8.

Over the 50% (51.4% to be exact 18/35 days of actual class) mark of the semester.  I technically only have 17 actual days of school left this semester.  Strange isn't it?  I have 3 days of school left for the next 3 weeks of class and then finish off with 2 days of class for the final 4 weeks.  I will have 10 credit hours underneath my belt, have one week off and then it's back to attack my goal even harder with 2 summer courses.

8th Week Summary
The 8th week was extremely nice.  Great leadership class as described earlier on monday, I need to start preparing my Leadership Development Plan - I am really interested in doing this as it will help my online passive income dreams I think and help define me on who I am as a person, professional, friend and leader.

Investment Analysis class went great as well, he talked about the article that I spoke to him about which was kind of neat - article dealt with the SEC putting a new "regulation" on short-selling.  We had a great Beta Alpha Psi & Accounting Association Meeting before that class too, in which we had the JM Smucker's Company come and present this week (we usually have a public accounting firm or an industry come in and talk about relevant topics in the accounting/business world etc).  They were great and had a ticket-drawing to which a student won an Apple iPod Nano - good day to go to a meeting huh?  Sadly, I didn't win : (.  It's okay - I got to meet many people from the Smucker's company and actually about 4 of my friends currently work their Full-Time or have internships with them this summer, so they came and helped present.

Wednesday marked the first day I was back with our Student Toastmaster's and I had a nice warm welcome from the president, vice president and the faculty advisor for the organization.  It felt great to be back - I wasn't able to before with issues such as the car.  For those that don't know, Toastmasters is about public speaking and our group is the student edition - it's a phenomenal way to practice in front of people, give you confidence etc..  I was happy to be back and actually gave a short speech on what issues we face today as a country - I quickly came up with the topic to talk about electronic communication such as Facebook, Twitter, Text messaging, E-mailing etc., because I feel as a nation we are declining in the human interaction of actually talking and seeing someone and I think it's crazy that it has become like that.  Talking, seeing is so important because you connect with one another on a whole different level, which I am sure we all know.  I don't want to get into a rant, so it was a great overall meeting and I am excited for next week's meeting.

Classes Wednesday were great too, Strategic Marketing Management was fun and entertaining because we just had discussions about acquisitions and conglomerates with a more focus on strategic fit and creating synergies and why conglomerates, if they don't have some sort of theme/synergy, usually fail.  Followed that class was my Capital Budgeting, where we had 2 "quizzes" - I aced the first one, but missed a question that I am mad about on the 2nd one.  It's okay, I still think I have somewhere between a 92/93 percent so far.  It was a solid class - it was just about forecasting and breaking down financial statements from accounting standards to financial standards to evaluate the future cash flow valuation of a company.

WHOO that was a lot wasn't it?  Thanks for bearing with me on this post as I had much to talk about.  Coming up - I have a discussion topic for leadership due sunday night, a chapter to read in capital budgeting and about 6 in Investment Analysis : ( haha it's okay it won't be too bad.  Regarding the toastmaster's topic - does anyone have any other topics on what issues that we are facing today?  They could be big or small but just post them below - I'd love to hear.  Thanks for reading, get things done and stay focused on your goal/destination!  Have a great weekend everyone.

-Lanny B

No comments:

Post a Comment